December is finally here!! My favorite time of the year to get creative and invent new recipes for the approaching festivities!
This year may not allow for many large group gatherings, but who says you can’t make a beautiful and unique meal for your close family?
Today’s recipe involves a canapé style dish, that’s easy to make, yet beautifully presented.
The squid ink black crisps, topped with mascarpone cream and thinly sliced pancetta make for a great aperitif snack before devouring your opulent Christmas or New Year meal.
Many believe that the squid ink may create a fishy flavor, but in reality, it has a very subtle taste that simply adds a hint of smokiness to the dish. The mascarpone blends beautifully with the salty pancetta, and the chili honey adds a tiny punch to the finishing flavor. This is purely optional of course – but I do enjoy adding an element of surprise to my dishes.
There are many alternatives one can add atop the crisps and mascarpone cream: grilled shrimp and other types of cured meats. Feel free to get creative!
Let me know if try the dish, and I’d love to see your photos!
Enjoy getting into the holiday spirit! I’m definitely looking forward to spending my time this December creating more festive dishes! Stay posted for more!
Serving size: 4 persons
140 gms all-purpose flour
60 gms San Pellegrino sparkling water
1/3 teaspoon squid ink
MASCARPONE CREAM INGREDIENTS:
50 gms mascarpone
50 gms fresh cream
75 gms fresh buffalo mozzarella
60 gms thinly sliced pancetta ham
1 Tbsp chili honey sauce
300 ml cooking oil
METHOD – DOUGH:
- 1) Put flour in a medium sized bowl.
- 2) Add squid ink and San Pellegrino water, and mix well.
- 3) Take it out of the bowl and start to knead the dough on a flat surface for 5 minutes. Add flour little by little if too sticky.
- 4) Let the dough rest for 30 minutes in a bowl covered by plastic wrap.
- 5) After the dough has rested, roll out the dough as thin as possible without piercing the dough. The thinner the dough, the more air pockets will be created, which is what we want.
- 6) Cut the dough into 3 cm x 3 cm squares.
- 7) Heat the oil to 190 Celsius / 374 Fahrenheit
- 8) Deep fry in batches for around 40 seconds on each side, until they puff up.
- 9) Drain well on paper towels.
- 10) Allow to cool completely.
METHOD – MARSCAPONE CREAM:
- Mix mascarpone, fresh cream and smashed mozzarella, until well combined. Little chunks of mozzarella should remain for texture.
- Add ½ a tablespoon of mascarpone cream on each crisp, followed by a slice of pancetta and finally a tiny dab of chili honey.